This year, the cost of living has affected many of us. Increases in energy costs along with a rise in National Insurance contributions, petrol and general household goods have put people under financial pressure.
As a result, many people are looking to save money on energy bills and reduce their spending overall. We have some essential advice on how you can ensure your home remains electrically safe while saving money.
Here, we advise you on how to save money whilst keeping you and your family safe.
With energy bills rising, some people may resort to using a plug-in heater in one room, rather than heating their entire home through their central heating system.
If so, it is vital you take the following precautions:
- Put your heater on a level surface, well away from anything that could knock it over, such as a door or where pets are running around.
- Make sure your heater is at least one metre away from combustible materials, such as paper, furniture or curtains.
- Never use it to dry your clothes!
- Never leave your heater unattended whilst in use or while you are asleep.
- Never power a heater from an extension lead – they can easily be overloaded and cause fires.
- Regularly inspect your heater for damage and deterioration. If it isn’t in good condition, don’t use it!
- Avoid buying second-hand heaters. Make sure you buy from recognised manufacturers and retailers.
- Always register a new portable heater and your other electrical appliances with the manufacturer. That way you can be contacted easily if a safety notice is issued or a recall is required.
For further information about what we do and how we can support you in the home, contact Bison Electrical today.